Building permits are typically required for the following:
- New buildings
- Renovations or alterations
- Prefabricated structures
- Plumbing alterations
- HVAC systems (heating, ventilation, air conditioning)
- Miscellaneous for residential (pools, fireplaces, decks, fences, etc.)
- Temporary buildings
- Installing new windows and exterior doors
- Installing new metal roofing
- Installing new cladding (siding, stucco, etc.)
In order to carry out construction of new structures or renovations to existing structures you must complete and submit an Application for a Permit to Construct or Demolish to the Building Controls Department. This must be done prior to the commencement of construction as the plans and specifications of the project must be reviewed to ensure they comply with the Ontario Building Code. To see if you require a building permit, please click here, or contact the Building Department.
Prior to scheduling an appointment, please fill out our Building Application Form and review the checklists to understand what type of documents you will require for your type of construction.
Prior to Building Permit Approvals:
Prior to the issuance of a Building Permit for your proposed project, approval from the Sudbury & District Health Unit (SDHU) pertaining to your septic system is required if you are:
- Constructing a new building
- Adding a bedroom, sleeping cabin, or washroom
- Increasing the number of fixture units (sink, toilet, bathtub, shower, laundry, dishwasher, etc.), or
- Increasing the total floor area of the building by 15 percent or more.
Please visit the SDHU website for further information.
If you would like to schedule an in person meeting, please call to pre-book an appointment by Email or phone (705) 507-1177.
CBO (Chief Building Official)
T: (705) 507-1177
Click here to send an email