The most frequently requested and referenced by-laws and policies are listed below:
PURPOSE OF THIS ZONING BY-LAW
The purpose of the Zoning By-law is to regulate the use of land and the character, form, height, location and dimensions of buildings and structures. The By-law has been prepared to conform to and implement the policies of the Official Plan for the Sudbury East Planning Area. By regulating land use, buildings and structures, this By-law help ensure compatibility between different land uses and minimize land use conflicts.
AUTHORITY TO PREPARE THIS ZONING BY-LAW
As amended, the Zoning By-law has been prepared under Section 34 of the Planning Act, R.S.O. 1990, c. P.13. The Planning Act specifies what a Zoning By-law can regulate. In general terms, the Zoning By-law may:
- Regulate the use of land, including outlining the types of uses that are permitted or prohibited;
- Regulate the type of construction and the height, bulk, size, location, floor area, spacing and the use of buildings and structures;
- Regulate lot frontages and depths;
- Regulate the proportion of a lot that may be covered by buildings and structures;
- Regulate minimum elevations of doors, windows and other openings in buildings and structures;
- Require that parking and loading facilities be provided and maintained;
- Prohibit uses, buildings and structures on lands that are considered hazardous; and/or
- Prohibit uses, buildings and structures on sensitive lands, such as groundwater recharge areas, aquifers, significant habitats, wetlands, woodlands, shorelines, or archaeological resources.
To prescribe the form, manner, and times for the notice provision.
To permit the operation of off-road vehicles on any highway within the municipality under the municipality's jurisdiction or on any part or part of such highways.
To regulate traffic & parking in the Municipality of French River.
To implement an Administrative Monetary Penalty System (AMPS) in the Municipality of French River.
To ensure proper commercial tree harvest buffers within the Municipality of French River
To prohibit and regulate noises in the Municipality of French River
To establish open-air burning procedures, prescribed times for setting fires, precautions to be taken, and for issuing burning permits.
To regulate the erection and maintenance of fences within the Municipality of French River.
To allow for the entry of adjoining property for maintenance purposes.
To regulate fencing around private outdoor swimming pools with the municipality of french river.
- Every owner making an application for a dog licence shall provide the following information upon registration:
- The name, postal address, and telephone number of the owner; and,
- The name, age, sex, and description of each dog to be licensed.
- Every application for a dog licence shall be accompanied by a fee as per the Municipality’s Fees and Charges By-law.
- No person shall keep or permit in or about any dwelling unit or premises more than three (3) dogs over the age of 6 months without a valid kennel license.
- No person shall keep or permit in or about any dwelling unit or premises more than five (5) cats over the age of 6 months.
- on a highway;
- in a public park;
- on any public property; or
- on municipal streets and roads.
To regulate smoking in public places, in workplaces and in all municipal properties including public outdoor spaces in the corporation of the municipality of french river.
To provide for the maintenance of land (clean yard by-law) within the municipality of french river.
To govern the calling, place and proceedings of meetings for the municipality of french river.
To approve sewage service rates charged to users of the municipal sewer system.
To amend by-law 2006-24 prohibiting the obstruction of any drain or watercourse and permitting and regulating the size and mode of construction of culverts and bridges.
To establish minimum and desirable roadway service standards for the municipal road system
To provide standards for the maintenance and occupancy of property in the municipality.
To establish rules and regulations for Cemeteries within the Municipality of French River
A by-law respecting construction, demolition and change of use permits and inspections.
To regulate and prohibit the placement of signs and other advertising devices in the municipality of french river